Chicken and Vegetable Stew
(Saucochi di Gallinja)
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons instant beef bouillon
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 ears sweet corn, cut into 3 pieces
- 1/4 pound winter squash, pared and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 small hot chile pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped chives
- Heat chicken, water and bouillon to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat. Cover
and simmer 30 minutes.
- Skim off fat. Add remaining ingredients except chives. Heat
to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until thickest pieces of chicken are done
and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Garnish each serving with chives.
Yield: 8 or 9 servings