Coconut Bread Pudding
(Budin de Pan de Coco — Puerto Rico)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (do not remove crusts)
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 or 4 ripe mangos, peeled and sliced (optional)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Mix together coconut milk, milk and half-and-half in a large mixing bowl. Fold
the bread into the liquid, making certain all the cubes are moistened. Allow the
bread to soak while you beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in a small
mixing bowl. Add egg mixture to the soaked bread. Stir in 1/2 cup of the coconut
flakes and the raisins.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon butter. Spoon the batter into
the pan and sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut flakes on top. Bake on
the upper rack of a preheated 350 degree F oven until the bread pudding has set
and is golden brown on top, about 45 minutes.
- Cut the bread pudding into squares and serve hot, warm, or chilled, on its own
or with mango slices.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Caribbean Recipes