In this Diplomatic Pudding recipe you transform day-old bread into this classic
Cuban dessert. The combination of evaporated and condensed milks makes this fruit
and nut-studded bread pudding extra rich and delicious, whether it’s served warm
or chilled. The use of canned fruit in this recipe reflects the popularity of imported
canned goods in Cuba during the 1950s.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can fruit cocktail, drained
(1 pound) loaf day-old white bread, crust removed
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION®
- 1 (14 ounce.) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sweet vermouth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon
- Fresh whipped cream, maraschino cherries and/or additional sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat sugar in small, heavy-duty saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly,
for 3 to 4 minutes or until dissolved and light brown in color. Quickly pour onto
bottom of 9-inch cake pan. Holding pan with potholders and working quickly, swirl
melted sugar around bottom and sides to coat. Set aside to cool.
- Coat bottom with fruit cocktail.
- Crumble bread into a large mixing bowl. Add the evaporated and sweetened condensed
milks. Mash with a potato masher or mix in blender until smooth.
- Add the egg yolks, raisins, almonds, vermouth, flour, vanilla extract, cinnamon,
nutmeg and salt; stir until well blended. Pour the mixture into prepared pan. Place
pan in large roasting pan; fill roasting pan with warm water to about halfway up
the side of the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center of pudding comes out
- Let cool on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Invert onto a serving platter.
- Serve warm or chilled. Garnish each slice with dollop of whipped cream, maraschino
cherry and sliced almonds, if desired.
Prep: 15 mins | Cooking: 60 mins | Level: Challenging
Cooling: 15 mins | Yields: 12 servings
By: CARNATION MILKS
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Nestlé® and meals.com.