Guava Cake (Puerto Rico)
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound guava paste*, cut into 16 slices
* Available in finer supermarkets and Hispanic specialty shops.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sift together the flour,
baking powder, spices, and salt and add the butter mixture, mixing until well combined.
Add the eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Spoon half the batter into a buttered 8-inch
square baking pan. Top with the sliced guava paste and cover with the remaining
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Serves 8 to 12.