Haitian Bread (Pain Haitien)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105 to 155 degrees F)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freeze-dried instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in honey, oil, salt, nutmeg
and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until very smooth, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add enough
of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface;
knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.
Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 50 minutes. Dough is ready if
indentation remains when touched.
- Punch dough down. Press into greased 15 1/2 x 10 1/2-inch jellyroll pan. Cut
dough into about 2 1/2-inch squares with sharp knife, cutting two-thirds of the
way through dough.
- Cover; let rise until double, about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dissolve instant coffee in milk; brush over dough. Bake until bread is golden
brown, about 35 minutes.
- Break bread into squares to serve.
Makes 24 squares.