Island Rum Cake
(Bolo di Rom — Cura ao)
This cake travels well, so it is a perfect choice for picnics.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 9-inch square pan.
- Beat all ingredients except confectioners' sugar in large mixer bowl on low
speed, scraping bowl frequently, 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping
bowl frequently. Pour into pan; spread evenly.
- Bake until crust is light golden
brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Yields 9 servings