Jamaican Stewed Chicken
- 5 to 6 pounds chicken pieces (your choice)
- 1 litre bottle ketchup
- 2 to 3
- 2 to 3 medium tomatoes diced (optional)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Oil (for frying)
- Clean chicken and place in a large bowl. Slice the onions into thick slices and
separate into rings; add to the chicken. If using tomatoes, dice them and add to
chicken. Add the bottle of ketchup and the black pepper (at least 1 teaspoon is recommended).
This dish should be spicy, but you can use less without affecting the taste.
in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil; brown chicken on all sides, then place in a covered oven dish. Add
about 1/2 litre of water to the ketchup mixture, until you have a smooth, but not
thick, consistency. Pour over the chicken.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 2 hours
or until the chicken just falls off the bones.
This is good served with steamed rice.