Lime Meringue Pie
(Pastel de Limon — Puerto Rico)
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust, your favorite recipe or packaged
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks (reserve the white for the meringue)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Bake the pie crust in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 30 minutes, or
according to the package directions, until light golden brown.
- Cool and set aside.
- Combine the cornstarch and 1 cup of the water in a saucepan and whisk until combined.
Add the remaining water and filling ingredients and whisk to combine. Cook over
low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick and boiling. Pour
into the baked pie shell.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the remaining Meringue ingredients, beating
until thoroughly combined. Top the pie filling with the egg white mixture, spreading
it just to the edge of the pie crust.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for
about 15 minutes, until light golden brown. Overcooking will cause the meringue
to crack when serving.
- Cool and refrigerate before serving.
Yield: one 9-inch pie to serve 6 to 8
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.