Maduro en Gloria (Heavenly Bananas)
From Willemsted, Curacao, West Indies, this is named after the famous shipping banking family, Maduro.
This is a dish served
on festive occasions.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 firm bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup
- 1/4 pound cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Curacao liqueur
- Melt the butter in a skillet and brown the bananas very quickly over high heat.
- Place half the banana slices on the bottom of a buttered pie plate. Blend heavy
cream and cream cheese until very soft. Add sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and liqueur,
beating until light and smooth. Spread half of the mixture over the bananas. Place
remaining banana slices on top, and spread the rest of the cream-cheese mixture
over the dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until almost all the
cream is absorbed and the top is lightly browned. Do not allow all the cream to
be absorbed, or the bananas will become too dry.
- Serve hot. If desired, top with whipped cream.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine March 20, 2002 15:43:15.