Pork with Rice and Olives
(Arroz con Carne de Cedo — Dominican Republic)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1/4 cup sliced pimento-stuffed olives
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Trim fat from pork; cut pork into 3/4-inch cubes. Mix pork, vinegar, onion, garlic
and red pepper in non-reactive bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, at least 6 hours.
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain. Remove pork from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Cook and stir pork in bacon fat until all liquid has evaporated and pork is brown
on all sides; drain.
- Mix pork, reserved marinade, bacon and remaining ingredients
in ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F until liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings