Puerco Asado (Cuban Pork Roast)
- 1 (5 pound) pork roast
- 1 head garlic, mashed
- 3/4 cup bitter orange juice*
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 2 large onions, sliced
* If you don't have bitter oranges, use half orange juice and half lime juice.
- Trim fat from roast and, using knife, pierce some holes on top of the roast.
- Mash garlic with salt and add remaining ingredients, except onions. Rub this on
roast and insert some in the holes.
- Place roast in a bag or glass dish. Cover with
onions and refrigerate overnight. (Can be marinated up to two days.)
- Bake, covered, at 275 degrees F for 5 to 6 hours. (Low temperatures work best.)
Turn roast once halfway through baking.
- Remove roast from oven and let stand for 20
minutes before carving.
- Serve with tortillas, shredded cheese, salsa, green onions, chopped tomatoes,
black beans and sour cream.