Sancocho (Dominican Republic)
- 2 tablespoons extra light virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 or 3 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 or 2 whole chickens, washed, skinned, and cut up
- 2 to 3 teaspoons oregano
- 2 to 3 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons herb garlic seasoning
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 2 or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 or 4 ears of field or yellow corn, cut in half or thirds.
- 3 to 5 cilantro leaves
- Couple chunks of otoe or malanga, peeled and washed
- Nice size piece of zapallo or calabasa, peeled and washed
- Nice size piece of name, peeled and washed
- Couple chunks of yuca, peeled and washed
- In large pot over medium heat, add oil, onion, and celery. Sauté for several
minutes. Add chicken and about 1 or 2 cups of the water. Sprinkle oregano, garlic
salt, and herb garlic seasoning. Cover and let flavors mix for about 10 to 15 minutes,
- Add 2 to 3 cups of water at a time, keeping the mixture at
a slow boil until all water has been added. Add chicken bouillon cubes. Add corn.
Cook on slow boil for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Peel the vegetables. Cut up into 2- to 3-inch pieces. Soak in water.
- Skim gray foam from top of cooked chicken broth. Add cilantro leaves. Drain water
from vegetables and add vegetables to chicken broth, except the zapallo (or calabasa).
Stir gently. Allow soup to boil slowly. Add zapallo 5 minutes later. Allow zapallo
to cook on top of mixture. Allow to boil slowly for an additional 10 to 15 minutes
until vegetables are tender.
- Add salt, pepper and/or hot sauce to taste.
Frozen sancocho vegetables may be purchased in many grocery stores. Substitute
frozen vegetables, if desired, rather than purchasing fresh vegetables.
For a clear broth, once the vegetables are tender, carefully remove them from
the soup; place in covered container.
For a thicker broth, allow the vegetables to continue cooking; vegetables become
very soft and break apart. Zapallo will break apart very fast.
If additional broth is needed, add a can or two of chicken broth plus one cilantro