Sofrito is not only a common seasoning in many Puerto Rican dishes, but it is
also frequently served at the table as a condiment. It will keep refrigerated for
several days, and can be frozen in small batches for future use.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ounces lean cured ham, finely chopped
- 1 medium
onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over low heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients
and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Makes about 1 cup to serve 6 to 8 as a condiment.