Sweet Potato "Bread"
(Pain Patate — Haiti)
This is not a bread although baked in a loaf pan. It is a marvelous dessert.
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and boiled until tender
- 2 medium ripe bananas, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup seedless golden raisins
- Coarsely mash together sweet potatoes and bananas with a potato masher in a large
mixing bowl; blend with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Beat butter and eggs into the sweet potato-banana paste with a wire whisk to
combine. Add sugar, molasses, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; whisk
until well blended. Next whisk in the milk until it is incorporated. Stir in the
- Pour the batter into a 2-quart loaf pan and bake it in a preheated 350
degree F oven until the center is firm and the top is golden brown, about 55 minutes.
- Remove the "bread" from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10
minutes before turning it out onto a plate.
- Serve generous slices of Pain Patate
warm or chilled, with whipped cream or a little rum poured over the top, or plain.
Serves 6 or 8.