Vaca Frita (Cuba)
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) flank steak, cut in half (or chuck steak or roast)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut in half and each half thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Place the beef and bay leaf in a large saucepan, cover with salted water, and
cook over low heat, covered, until the meat is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours (chuck roast
may take a little longer).
- Remove the meat from the stock and allow to cool at room
temperature (save the stock for another use).
- When the meat is cool, cut into 2-inch chunks, shred it using your fingers, and
place in a nonreactive bowl. Add the citrus juices, garlic, salt, and pepper, cover
and refrigerate at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until fragrant and cook the beef shreds,
stirring 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook until the beef is crisp, another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve over white rice.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Caribbean Recipes