Apple Baba (Yablochnaya Baba)
- 4 tart apples (such as Granny Smith), peeled, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Confectioners' sugar for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch tube pan.
- Place the apples in a large bowl, sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the sugar and the
cinnamon and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and the remaining 2 cups of sugar with an electric
mixture until pale yellow and thick. Gradually beat in the oil, orange juice and
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Gradually add it to the egg mixture,
stirring with a wooden spoon. You will have the consistency of thick honey. Fold
the apples into the batter, making sure they are well distributed. Pour the apple
batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until
the top is well browned and splitting, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Invert the baba onto a rack and cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar just
Serves 8 to 10.
Posted by Joyce'S at Recipe Goldmine 9/1/2001 6:50 am.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Eastern European Recipes