Barszca (Polish Easter Soup)
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound Polish kielbasa sausage
- 2 cups sour cream
and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon plain or beet horseradish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar, or to taste
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup cubed, cooked ham
- 1 cup cooked diced
- 1 cup cooked diced beets (optional)
- Chopped fresh dill or parsley
- In a large kettle, bring water to a boil and add the kielbasa to cook for 1 hour.
- Remove kielbasa from water and cut into thin slices. Add the horseradish, mushrooms,
salt and pepper to the broth and simmer covered for about 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In a separate bowl, beat sour cream with about 3 cups of the cool broth. Pour
this mixture back into the kettle with the rest of the broth. Add lemon juice or
- Reheat before serving, but do NOT bring to a boil.
- Fill individual serving bowls with the liquid allowing each person at the table
to add the thinly sliced kielbasa pieces, hard boiled eggs, ham, potatoes or beets
to their taste.
Serves 4 to 6.
May be made a day or two before and kept refrigerated.