Beef and Mushroom Stew
with Caraway Dumplings
Browning meat in the oven reduces the amount of fat needed for cooking. Serve
with julienne parsnips and carrots.
- 1 1/2 pounds round or blade steak
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bouquet Garni*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (if necessary)
- 1/2 pound small mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* Tie together with kitchen twine 1 celery stalk with leaves, 3 or 4 sprigs parsley, 1 bay leaf and small sprig of thyme
- 1 cup soft fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 egg white
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Stew: Cut steak into 1 1/2 inch cubes. In a bag, combine flour, pepper and salt. Add
beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat with flour mixture. Shake off excess
and place meat on wire rack in flameproof casserole. Bake in 350 degree F oven for
about 25 minutes or until browned. Meanwhile, prepare Bouquet Garni.
- Set meat aside on platter.
- Place casserole over medium heat. Only if necessary add all or part of the oil.
Add mushrooms, cap side down, and cook until golden, transferring to platter as
- Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is transparent. Add stock, wine and tomato
paste; bring to a simmer, stirring and scraping bottom of casserole with wooden
spoon to scrape up any brown bits.
- Return meat to pan; add Bouquet Garni. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour
or until meat is tender. Meanwhile prepare dumplings.
- Dumplings: In a bowl, toss bread crumbs and melted margarine together with a
fork. Combine flour, baking powder, caraway seeds and salt. Mix lightly into crumb
mixture. Beat together egg and egg white; add to crumb mixture and mix lightly (mixture
will be soft) shape into 8 balls of even size.
- Remove Bouquet Garni and discard. While stew is simmering, add dumplings, cover
and cook, without removing lid, for 18 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings
Calories per serving 311, Cholesterol 127 mg
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 5/5/02 11:13:36 am.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Eastern European Recipes