Beets in Orange Sauce
- 5 medium beets (1 1/4 pounds)
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- Cut off all but 2 inches of beet tops. Leave beets whole with root ends attached.
- Heat water and 1 teaspoon salt to boiling in 3-quart saucepan. Add beets. Heat to
boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook until tender, 35 to 45 minutes; drain.
- Run cold water over beets; slip off skins and remove root ends. Cut beets into 1/4-inch
- Mix brown sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper in 2-quart saucepan.
- Stir orange juice gradually into cornstarch mixture; stir in vinegar. Cook, stirring
constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in beets; heat until hot.
Yields 4 servings.