Bohemian Chicken Paprikash with Spaetzle
- 3 pounds chicken with skin, cut in pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons Hungarian paprika, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups water plus 3/4 cup
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup flour
- Spaetzle or other dumplings
- Sprinkle chicken on all sides with salt and paprika. Melt butter in a large Dutch
oven. Add chicken. Sauté until golden. Turn chicken, add onion, and sprinkle with
2 teaspoons paprika. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and cook slowly covered until tender. Remove chicken; keep warm.
Whisk together sour cream, 3/4 cup water and flour until smooth. Gradually add sour
cream mixture to broth. Stir over low heat until sauce is thickened. Add paprika
as desired. Return chicken.
- Keep on low heat, uncovered until serving time.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional information per serving: calories 793; carbohydrates 8 grams;
fat 73 grams; cholesterol 191 milligrams; protein 27 grams; sodium 847 milligrams;
fiber 1 gram; calcium 99 milligrams; iron 2 milligrams; vitamin A 2012 IU; vitamin
C 5 milligrams; ash 3 grams; phosphorus 259 milligrams; potassium 394 milligrams;
magnesium 37 milligrams; selenium 23 micrograms; niacin 9 milligrams; pantothenic
acid 2 milligrams; folate 28 micrograms; vitamin B12 1 microgram; saturated fat
29 grams; monounsaturated fat 28 grams; polyunsaturated fat 11 grams
The calculations were based on each diner eating 1/8 of the sour cream-butter
sauce. Most would eat far less, and many would also discard the chicken skin, which
would also decrease calories.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.