Bohemian Chicken Paprikash with Spaetzle
- 3 pounds chicken with skin, cut in pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons
Hungarian paprika, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups
water plus 3/4 cup
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup flour
- Spaetzle or other dumplings
- Sprinkle chicken on all sides with salt and paprika. Melt butter in a large Dutch
oven. Add chicken. Sauté until golden. Turn chicken, add onion, and sprinkle with
2 teaspoons paprika. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and cook slowly covered until tender. Remove chicken; keep warm.
Whisk together sour cream, 3/4 cup water and flour until smooth. Gradually add sour
cream mixture to broth. Stir over low heat until sauce is thickened. Add paprika
as desired. Return chicken.
- Keep on low heat, uncovered until serving time.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional information per serving: calories 793; carbohydrates 8 grams;
fat 73 grams; cholesterol 191 milligrams; protein 27 grams; sodium 847 milligrams;
fiber 1 gram; calcium 99 milligrams; iron 2 milligrams; vitamin A 2012 IU; vitamin
C 5 milligrams; ash 3 grams; phosphorus 259 milligrams; potassium 394 milligrams;
magnesium 37 milligrams; selenium 23 micrograms; niacin 9 milligrams; pantothenic
acid 2 milligrams; folate 28 micrograms; vitamin B12 1 microgram; saturated fat
29 grams; monounsaturated fat 28 grams; polyunsaturated fat 11 grams
The calculations were based on each diner eating 1/8 of the sour cream-butter
sauce. Most would eat far less, and many would also discard the chicken skin, which
would also decrease calories.