- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups scalded milk (100 degrees F)
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1/2 packages or 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
- 5 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon flavoring, optional
- Cream shortening and sugar. Stir in salt, egg yolks and flavoring. When milk
is lukewarm, add yeast and let stand 5 minutes. Add to creamed mixture. Add flour
and knead. Put in greased bowl; cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to desired thickness, about 1/4 inch. Cut with biscuit cutter
and let rise 15 minutes. Put thumb print in middle and add fruit filling, such as
a homemade filling, pie filling or junior baby food fruit.
- Bake at 425 degrees F until brown, about 15 minutes. Watch closely.