Braised Buckwheat Kernels (Kasha)
This grain is sometimes called groats.
- 1 cup medium buckwheat kernels (kasha)
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mix buckwheat kernels and egg; cook in ungreased skillet over medium-high heat,
stirring constantly, until kernels separate and brown.
- Stir in water, butter, bouillon, salt and pepper; reduce heat. Cover and simmer
until liquid is absorbed and buckwheat kernels are tender, about 5 minutes.
Yields 6 servings.