- 2 whole fryer chickens, cut up
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Sweet Hungarian paprika
- Vegetable oil
- 8 to 12 ounces sour cream
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 to 8 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Water, if necessary
- Chicken: Sauté onion in about 1/3 cup vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium
heat. Add 1/3 cup of paprika, being careful not to let it burn.
- Place chicken in skillet to fry, dusting one side again with paprika. Brown
about 6 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally. Take chicken out and place in roasting
- Add chicken broth until it covers chicken. Cover the pan and bake at 375
degrees F for about 2 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from roaster. Cover and set aside. Put roaster on top of
stove and bring remaining contents to a slow boil.
- Gravy: Mix sour cream into some of the hot broth from roaster, whisking
until smooth. Add back into roaster with boiling broth.
- Pre-mix flour, water and salt. Whisk until smooth. Gravy should have a nice
salmon color. Add more paprika if desired.
- Spaetzle: Mix ingredients in a bowl. Dust hands and mix with flour. Knead
into a ball. Flatten to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Boil chicken broth in a pot. Keeping a spoon wet, section off pieces of
spaetzle dough. Cook in the broth for about 3 to 6 minutes.
- Place chicken and spaetzle on a plate and cover with gravy.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.