- 2 whole fryer chickens, cut up
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Sweet Hungarian paprika
- Vegetable oil
- 8 to 12 ounces sour cream
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 to 8 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Water, if necessary
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Chicken: Sauté onion in about 1/3 cup vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium
heat. Add 1/3 cup of paprika, being careful not to let it burn.
- Place chicken in skillet to fry, dusting one side again with paprika. Brown
about 6 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally. Take chicken out and place in roasting
- Add chicken broth until it covers chicken. Cover the pan and bake at 375
degrees F for about 2 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from roaster. Cover and set aside. Put roaster on top of
stove and bring remaining contents to a slow boil.
- Gravy: Mix sour cream into some of the hot broth from roaster, whisking
until smooth. Add back into roaster with boiling broth.
- Pre-mix flour, water and salt. Whisk until smooth. Gravy should have a nice
salmon color. Add more paprika if desired.
- Spaetzle: Mix ingredients in a bowl. Dust hands and mix with flour. Knead
into a ball. Flatten to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Boil chicken broth in a pot. Keeping a spoon wet, section off pieces of
spaetzle dough. Cook in the broth for about 3 to 6 minutes.
- Place chicken and spaetzle on a plate and cover with gravy.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Photo credit: mirka23
>> Eastern European Recipes