- 8 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon
- A grating of fresh nutmeg
- 1/2 cup jam, jelly or marmalade of
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 4 tablespoons granulated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup blanched almonds, chopped
- Cake: Using a fork or pastry knife, cut the butter into the flour until the pieces
of butter are the size of peas.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then roll to 1/2 inch thickness and place on a lightly
greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven about 20 minutes, until
- Allow to cool and spread the jam over the top.
- Topping: Combine all ingredients, folding gently so as not to deflate the egg
whites. Spread over the cake and bake in a preheated 200 degree F oven for about
1 hour, until the meringue is set.