- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds pork or beef, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet or hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- In a cast iron Dutch oven, sauté onion in shortening. Add garlic; sauté until
- Add meat, onion, paprika, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Brown well.
- Add 1/2 cup of the water; simmer, covered, until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle flour over drippings in the pan; stir until brown.
- Add remaining water;
simmer for 10 to 20 minutes.