- 8 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pint sour cream
- 2 cups milk (about), scalded
- 2 ounces yeast
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/4 pound sweet butter
- 1 1/2 pounds ground nuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy milk or cream
- 1/3 cup sweet butter
- Dough: Dissolve yeast in about 2 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 cup warm water; let
stand until it bubbles.
- Sift flour in large bowl and add salt and 1/2 cup sugar.
- In another bowl beat 3 egg yolks, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and sour cream;
add yeast; add scalded milk and sweet butter which was added to the milk and cooled.
Add this to the flour bowl and knead to a soft silky dough, not sticky. Let rise
in a greased bowl until double in bulk. Make sure the dough is soft as it has to
- On floured cloth roll dough to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in thickness; stretch gently
so it won't break. Stretch oblong about 30 x 20 inches (use rolling pin if necessary)
and fill with following filling.
- Filling: Scald milk with butter.
- In bowl add ground nuts, honey, vanilla extract, sugar and pinch of salt, then
add scalded milk with butter. Mix, then add stiffly beaten egg whites. If thick,
add a little more milk. Spread on dough like you would for nut roll and roll like
a jellyroll (make as sweet as desired).
- Grease roasting pan 4 to 6 inches in depth and fill pan; start at one edge of
pan; make a "U" shape. Do not cut if roll is longer; turn again. Brush
with milk. Prick with knife on top for air bubbles. Let stand 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and brush with butter. Let cool, then flop it on a cloth and
place it on a rack to cool.
Source: Anne Price - Our Favorite Recipes - St. Anthony Croatian Catholic