Houska (Braided Bread)
- 1 package yeast
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup scalded milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/4 - 4 3/4 cups flour, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Mix the honey and warm water to dissolve, add yeast.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk almost to boiling point, then remove from
heat. Combine the scalded milk, sugar, margarine, and salt; cool to lukewarm.
- Stir 1 cup of flour into milk mixture, beat well. Stir in the yeast mixture.
Add eggs and beat well. Add mace, raisins, and almonds. Add 3 more cups of flour,
stirring to make a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead
until smooth and elastic, adding flour a little at a time to keep dough from sticking.
Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning the dough once to grease all
sides. Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough is double in size (about 1
- Punch down dough and divide into 5 pieces, 3 the same size, 2 slightly smaller.
The 3 larger pieces are rolled out to form a 17-inch roll and then braided together.
This is the bottom row. The 2 smaller pieces are rolled out and twisted together
and placed on top of the 3-braid piece, tucking the ends under. Assemble on a cookie
sheet with parchment paper on the diagonal. Let the Houska rise in a warm place
until about double in size.
- Brush the tops with milk.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush the tops lightly with butter when the loaves are still warm for a softer
Submitted to recipegoldmine.com by Roy Vyskocil.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.