Hungarian Beef Goulash
"Bogracs Gulyas" loosely means "a cauldron of meat."
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon fat
- 1 1/2 pounds beef boneless chuck,
tip or round, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
(8 ounce) can tomatoes (with liquid)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic,
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into1
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
bread or rolls
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or skillet until hot. Cook and stir beef in hot oil until
brown, about 15 minutes; drain.
- Add water, tomatoes, onions, garlic, paprika, salt,
bouillon, caraway seed and pepper. break up tomatoes with fork. Heat to boiling;
reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes; cover and simmer until beef and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add bell peppers; cover and simmer until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve in soup
bowls with French bread for dipping into hot broth.