Hungarian Chicken Paprika and Dumplings
This is my Mom's recipe, and it is tried and true.
- 1 (3 pound) chicken, cut into pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- About 3/4 to 1 cup water
- Chicken: Brown the chicken and onions and garlic in the butter till brown, adding
salt midway. Remove the chicken and add paprika and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato
and 1/2 cup chicken broth; lower heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan and cook for 30-40 minutes. Remove the chicken and
keep it warm.
- Sprinkle the flour over the drippings, stirring briskly to smooth and blend and
simmer for 3 minutes. Gradually add enough chicken broth to make 1 cup of liquid,
then stir in the heavy cream. When it is heated through, turn off the heat and
add the sour cream to the sauce, blending quickly so that it doesn't boil. Spoon
over the chicken.
- Dumplings: Mix egg, salt and water. Add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Heat a pot of water. Add salt. At the boil, make small teaspoonsful of the dough
and pull it off the plate into the water. When they come to the surface, cook 1-2
minutes and drain. Add to the paprika sauce. In a pinch, you can just
make wide noodles or bow ties instead of the dumplings.
Sometimes I omit the heavy cream and
put in a pint of sour cream. Although my Mom did not do it, I occasionally add
chopped green peppers and mushrooms to the cooking chicken. I sometimes would make
it with boneless chicken breasts only, adjusting the cooking time accordingly (be
sure not to over-cook). Sometimes I also remove the chicken skin and debone it.
Not authentic Hungarian, I know. My Mom would kill me if she knew!
Posted by jerseyjan at Recipe Goldmine 2004/1/27 17:14.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.