Hungarian Christmas Biscuits with
Poppy Seeds (Makosgubo)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, as needed
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar, approximately
- 1/2 cup washed, dried and ground poppy seeds
- Sprinkle yeast into lukewarm water, add 1 teaspoon sugar and set aside in a warm
place for 5 to 10 minutes, or until mixture is foamy.
- Scald milk, add salt, butter, 1/4 cup sugar and stir until butter melts. Cool
to lukewarm. Add to yeast mixture along with beaten whole eggs and yolks. Stir in
1 cup flour. Mix thoroughly, cover loosely and set to rise in a draft-free corner
for about 30 minutes, or until dough is light and puffy.
- Beat in as much remaining flour as needed to make dough smooth but soft. Knead
for 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place in floured bowl, dust top of
dough with flour, cover loosely and set to rise in a draft-free corner until double
in bulk - about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down, knead for 2 or 3 minutes, then cut off pieces slightly smaller
than walnuts. Roll into balls, dredge lightly with flour, dusting off excess, and
place 1 inch apart on a buttered baking sheet. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 300 degrees F oven for 1 hour, or until pale golden brown around edges.
Place biscuits in a bowl, blanch with boiling water and drain immediately.
- Heat 1/3 cup butter in a large skillet over low heat, add biscuits and stir gently with
a wooden spoon to coat with butter.
- Sprinkle with sugar and ground poppy seeds and serve while hot.
Makes about 4 dozen biscuits.
Posted by Olga at The Cutting Board Saturday Sep 24th, 2005 12:36 pm
Source: Visions of Sugarplums
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Eastern European Recipes