Hungarian One Pot Stew (Gulyas)
Use a heavy Dutch oven, heated on high heat for about five minutes on top of
- 1 pound good beef, cut into cubes
- 2 large onions coarsely chopped
- 4 teaspoons
paprika (hot or sweet, to taste - hot Hungarian is good)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 slice salt pork or bacon, chopped, sprinkled
- Brown meat in a little good olive oil. Add onions, tomatoes and pepper. Be careful
not to burn.
- Add paprika and cover with bacon or salt pork squares, cover and simmer
until the beef is tender and the vegetables have made their own gravy. Watch for
the first 30 minutes, but just stir occasionally after that.
- Season with salt after cooking, if needed.
- Serve with crusty French bread or giant Southern biscuits.