Hungarian Pork and Sauerkraut
- 4 slices pork butt, as meaty as possible, sliced thin, pounded if necessary
- 1 large can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed, squeezed dry
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 8 slices of the best rye bread
- Prepare the pork butt and add some seasoning to it. Gently brown the pork in
the butter until done. Don't over cook.
- Set pork aside and add sauerkraut, onions, garlic and seasonings to the pan.
Be generous with the paprika. Fry the kraut until browned.
- Make up 4 sandwiches being generous with the sauerkraut mixture.
I sometimes add 1-2 peeled raw potatoes (diced small) to the frying kraut.
Posted by jerseyjan at Recipe Goldmine 8/6/20013:46 pm.