Hungarian Stew with Noodles
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- 5 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (16 ounce) package bow tie macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- In an 8-quart Dutch oven over medium heat in hot oil, cook garlic 1 minute (discard),
add stew meat and onions. Cook until meat is lightly browned.
- Stir in tomato paste, water, paprika, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low,
cover and simmer 2 hours or until fork-tender, stirring often.
- Cook noodles, drain and toss with butter and parsley.
- To serve, sprinkle stew with lemon peel and caraway seed.