Hunter's Stew (Bigos — Poland)
- 6 pounds canned sauerkraut
- 1/4 pound bacon or salt pork, diced
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3 tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sherry or dry red wine
- Salt, pepper, sugar, to taste
- 3 pounds smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse sauerkraut in cold water and squeeze out juice well, reserving some of
the juice. Put sauerkraut in large kettle over low heat.
- Meanwhile, render the bacon or salt pork. Add bacon bits to sauerkraut.
- Sauté onions in bacon fat until golden; add chopped apples and cook until slightly
browned. Add all to the kettle. Add sausage. Add enough beef broth, bay leaf, salt, pepper, a little sugar and some of the
sauerkraut juice for tartness. Simmer slowly for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add wine and let stew bubble up. Cover and let stand until ready to use.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.