Hunter's Stew (Bigos — Poland)
- 6 pounds canned sauerkraut
- 1/4 pound bacon or salt pork, diced
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3 tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sherry or dry red wine
- Salt, pepper, sugar, to taste
- 3 pounds smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse sauerkraut in cold water and squeeze out juice well, reserving some of the juice. Put sauerkraut in large kettle over low heat.
- Meanwhile, render the bacon or salt pork. Add bacon bits to sauerkraut.
- Sauté onions in bacon fat until golden; add chopped apples and cook until slightly browned. Add all to the kettle. Add sausage. Add enough beef broth, bay leaf, salt, pepper, a little sugar and some of the sauerkraut juice for tartness. Simmer slowly for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add wine and let stew bubble up. Cover and let stand until ready to use.