- 6 tablespoons lukewarm milk
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound prunes, cooked
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Kolaches: Add yeast to milk and let stand several minutes to dissolve. Stir in salt and
- Put butter into a large bowl; add 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk, beating very
hard. Continue adding 1 whole egg and additional yolk, followed each time by hard
beating. When all the eggs have been used, mix in yeast and then flour, beating
hard. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place until double in size.
- Pinch off pieces of dough the size of a large walnut. Place 2 inches apart on
a greased baking sheet; cover, and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Press a hollow in the center of each piece with fingers and fill the cavity with
Prune Filling, jam or marmalade. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove
from oven. When cool, sprinkle tops generously with sugar.
- Prune Filling: When prunes are tender, drain; discard pits and chop prunes coarsely. Stir in
sugar, butter, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Add more sugar if desired.