- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lard (it must be lard)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Combine molasses, brown sugar, lard, butter and honey in a pot, heat until everything
is melted together, but DO NOT SCORCH. If you do, the gingerbread won't hold together.
- Add the 2 1/2 coups flour and spices to the mixture. Let the mixture cool a bit.
- Add eggs, then let the mixture cool completely.
- Add the 2 1/4 cups flour (a little bit more if the dough is sticky when kneading), baking soda and baking powder. Knead
until smooth and not sticky.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll the dough out quite thin and press gingerbread shapes.
- Bake until just golden and lightly brown underneath, about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Let cool, then remove from pan.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.