Makiwnyk (Poppyseed Loaf)
Here is the recipe for the makiwnyk, poppyseed loaf. This recipe was written
down by me when I was about 15 years old as my mother was making it. The paper is
old and falling apart, so bear with me. Don't let this scare you from making it.
I just found it and haven't had a chance to re-do it.
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 cups milk, scalded and cooled until lukewarm in mixing bowl
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups flour
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups flour, divided
Poppyseed or Nut Filling
- 1 pound poppy seeds or ground nuts (I think she used walnuts)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) melted butter
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- Loaves: Dissolve the 1 teaspoon granulated sugar in lukewarm water (100 degrees
F). Sprinkle active dry yeast into water/sugar mixture and let stand for 10
- Stir briskly with a fork. Add softened yeast to lukewarm milk and stir.
Beat in the 3 cups flour. Cover bowl and let sit in a warm place until light
and full of bubbles, approximately 1 hour.
- Stir in the 1 cup granulated sugar, salt, melted butter and lemon rind.
Beat just until mixed.
- In a small bowl, beat with a fork the eggs and egg yolks. Stir into the
batter. Add 2 cups flour and beat vigorously. Add another 4 to 4 1/2 cups flour
working it in with a rotating motion of your hand. Turn dough over on a lightly
floured surface and knead 8 to 10 minutes.
- Shape into a smooth ball and place in a greased bowl turning the dough once.
Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, approximately.
- Poppyseed or Nut Filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a mixing bowl
and beat until totally incorporated, set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Punch down dough and divide into 3 equal parts. Roll each into a 1/2-inch thick
rectangle. Spread with poppyseed filling or nut filling and roll up each rectangle
in a jellyroll fashion. Pinch seams to make edges secure and turn under loaf. Place
on greased baking sheets and cover and let rise until doubled in size. Brush tops
with butter and bake in oven for 1 hour.
Makes 3 loaves.
* I just go out to the supermarket and purchase the Solo poppyseed or nut paste
and use that - it's quicker.
Posted by bettyboop50 at recipegoldmine.com.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.