- 1 cup cooked and mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 pound dry cottage cheese
- 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Mash peeled, chunked potatoes that have been boiled for 20 minutes in lightly
salted water over medium-high heat When cooled, add egg and blend well in a
medium-size mixing bowl. Add flour and salt. Blend with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Place mixture on a lightly floured surface and knead, adding more flour
if necessary to completely bind all ingredients. Roll out the mixture on the
same lightly floured surface, and cut into 3-inch squares or rounds.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling in a separate mixing bowl by thoroughly combining
the dry cottage cheese, egg and additional yolk, lemon juice and sugar.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and place over medium-high heat
to prepare to boil Pierogi.
- Fill the Pierogi by placing a spoonful of the filling mixture a little to
one side of the center of each square or circle of mashed potato dough. Moisten
the edge of the dough by dipping your fingertips in a bowl of cool water and
running them around the edge of the dough; then press firmly to seal and prevent
the filling from running out during boiling and frying.
- Cook the Pierogi in boiling water until they float to the top. Dry slightly
on a clean dish towel before sauté ing for about 2 minutes in melted butter
in a large skillet set at medium heat, making sure to turn at least once during
- Serve warm with salt and pepper for seasoning.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.