- 1 Yeast Dough recipe (recipe follows)
- 1 Filling
recipe (recipes follow)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon water
Drozhzhevoe Testo Dough
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 4 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 pounds flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 3 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1/4 pound butter
(not margarine), unsalted, melted and partially cooled to lukewarm
Mushroom/Onion Filling for Piroghi
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Salt, to taste
Cheese Filling for Piroghi
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 1/2 pounds farmer's
- Sugar, to taste
Meat Filling for Piroghi
- 2 1/2 pounds lean meat (beef or
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 marrow bones
- 1 whole onion
- 1 carrot,
- 1 leek
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Cherry Filling for Piroghi
- 2 3/4 cups cherries
- 4 tablespoons
honey or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 2 1/2 quarts water
Mixed Fruit Filling for Piroghi
- 1 cup apple slices, skinless
- 1 cup cherries, pitted
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup
prunes, pitted and chopped
- 4 tablespoons honey or sugar
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Drozhzhevoe Testo Dough: This dough is used to make piroghi, priozhki, kulebiaki,
and other delicious items. Mix yeast, 1 teaspoon of sugar and the warm water. Cover
this mixture and allow to sit in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Dough: Put the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the yeast mixture, the
warm milk, and mix at low speed for 1 minute.
- Beat the egg yolks with a whisk or fork, whip the egg whites until they
are stiff and then fold yolks and whites into the flour-yeast-milk mixture.
Mix well for 1 to 2 minutes, add the warm melted butter, and continue to mix
at a medium speed for 10 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl and punch down, re-place into bowl, cover, and allow
to sit for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Remove the dough, punch it down again, and prepare to make whatever items
- Piroghi Preparation: Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Roll each out flat
to 1/8 inch and cut to fit your around the outside of your baking pan so that
the bottom and sides are covered with a 1/2-inch overhang on all sides.
- Fill each piroghi with filling of your choice, cut a piece of dough to cover
top with a 1/2-inch overhang all around. Pinch the 2 pieces of dough together
all-around and trim excess if needed. Cover the piroghi, and allow to sit in
a warm (NOT hot) place for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat the egg yolks, oil and water together and use to brush the tops of
the piroghi. Using a fork, punch 8 to 10 holes in the tops of the piroghi (usually
done in a pattern).
- Bake on baking racks at a mid-level for 30 to 35 minutes or until dark golden
brown. Remove, brush with melted butter, allow to cool for 10 to 12 minutes
- Mushroom/Onion Filling for Piroghi: Wash and clean mushrooms. Chop, mix with
onions and sauté in a large pan with the butter and salt. Cook for approximately
4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cheese Filling for Piroghi: Cottage cheese well drained, and squeezed in cheesecloth
to remove moisture will substitute for farmer's cheese. Fold eggs into cheese and
add sugar, mixing thoroughly.
- Meat Filling for Piroghi: In a stock pot bring water to a boil. Add salt, meat,
bones and cook for 3 minutes. Reduce heat, skim, and cook for 1 1/4 hours. Add vegetables,
then cook partially covered for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from pot, drain. Chop onion
and leek, re-cube meat 1/2 inch, mix with vegetables, and allow to cool to room
- Cherry Filling for Piroghi: Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add cherries,
lemon juice and honey or sugar. Reduce to medium heat, cook covered for 5 minutes,
stirring occasionally, remove from heat, drain, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Mixed Fruit Filling for Piroghi: Bring water to a boil in a large pot, add fruits,
honey or sugar, spices, and lemon juice. Reduce to medium heat, cover and cook for
5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, drain, and allow to cool to
Source: Irina Zhulanovskaya, Kyiv-Ukraine, circa 1996
From: Dr. Donald Houston;
Overseas Medical Aid Group