Polenta with Cheese (Mamaliga — Rumania)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 1/4 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss or Kashkaval cheese
Fried Cornmeal Mush
- Mix cornmeal and 3/4 cup water in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in 3 1/4 cups water
and the salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils; reduce
heat. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir until smooth. Spread 1/3 of the mixture in greased 1 1/2-quart
casserole. Dot with 1/3 of the butter; sprinkle with 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese.
Repeat twice. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F until
hot and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes.
Omit butter and the grated Parmesan and Swiss cheeses.
After cooking 10 minutes, spread in greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate
until firm, at least 12 hours. Invert pan to unmold; cut into 1/2-inch slices.
Heat 2 tablespoons butter in skillet until melted. Coat slices with flour; cook
uncovered in butter over low heat until brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Serve
with molasses, jam, maple syrup or sour cream if desired.