This was a treat my mother would always have around the house. The house would always
smell great when she was making these delicious, crispy treats.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- Vegetable oil for frying (heated to 375 degrees F)
- In a mixer bowl, beat egg yolks, egg and salt until very stiff, approximately
10 minutes. Beat in confectioners' sugar, rum and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour all at once and beat well until incorporated.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board or surface. Knead until surface of the dough
is blistered in appearance, about 7 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out each piece of dough very thin. Cut each rectangle
into 2-inch wide strips, then cut the strips into 4-inch lengths with a sharp knife.
Make a 1-inch slit in the center of each strip and take one end and very gently
pull it through the slit twisting slightly. Place on baking sheet until ready to
- In a large soup or Dutch pot, heat oil to 375 degrees F and drop the strips in
frying about a 1/2 minute on each side or until a pale golden color is achieved.
Remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Place in a large bowl and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
About 2 to 3 dozen depending on the size you cut
Now sit back with a freshly brewed pot of coffee or tea and enjoy these delicious
little treats. I bet you can't eat just one!
Posted by bettyboop50 at recipegoldmine.com.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.