This was a treat my mother would always have around the house. The house would always
smell great when she was making these delicious, crispy treats.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
oil for frying (heated to 375 degrees F)
- In a mixer bowl, beat egg yolks, egg and salt until very stiff, approximately
10 minutes. Beat in confectioners' sugar, rum and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour all at once and beat well until incorporated.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board or surface. Knead until surface of the dough
is blistered in appearance, about 7 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out each piece of dough very thin. Cut each rectangle
into 2-inch wide strips, then cut the strips into 4-inch lengths with a sharp knife.
Make a 1-inch slit in the center of each strip and take one end and very gently
pull it through the slit twisting slightly. Place on baking sheet until ready to
- In a large soup or Dutch pot, heat oil to 375 degrees F and drop the strips in
frying about a 1/2 minute on each side or until a pale golden color is achieved.
Remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Place in a large bowl and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
About 2 to 3 dozen depending on the size you cut
Now sit back with a freshly brewed pot of coffee or tea and enjoy these delicious
little treats. I bet you can't eat just one!
Posted by bettyboop50 at recipegoldmine.com.