Polish Easter Bread (Babka)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 package yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 can seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup rum
- Bread: Mix 3/4 cup flour and yeast. combine milk and margarine in a saucepan only until
WARM. Pour into bowl.
- Add remaining dry ingredients, and beat for 2 minutes in electric mixer.
- Add eggs 1 at a time and up to a 1/2 cup flour to make a thick batter. Beat for
an additional 2 minutes.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Stir in raisins and turn out into a 2-quart greased tube pan. Let rise uncovered
for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.
- Before removing from pan and while still
hot from oven, prick bread with a fork and pour Rum Syrup over the cake.
- Rum Syrup: Bring all ingredients to a boil.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Eastern European Recipes