Polish Easter Bread (Babka Wielkanocna)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until blended.
- Beat in egg yolks until well blended.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir yeast mixture, orange peel, lemon peel,
cinnamon and salt into butter mixture.
- Stir in flour alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition,
until soft dough forms.
- Stir in raisins.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir down dough; spoon into greased and floured 10 x 4-inch tube
pan or 12-cup Bundt cake pan.
- Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake until bread is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired.