Polish Halushki with Potato Dumplings
One of my family's favorites. Very rich and fattening but worth it. My Mom taught
my Dad and Dad taught me. My brother and I grew up on this.
- 4 peeled and grated Idaho potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- About 3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 medium heat cabbage, core removed and chopped
- 3 medium onions, diced
- Grate potatoes, add salt, eggs and flour. Add a little water (about 1/4
to 1/2 cup) if dough is too stiff. Drop small portions from tip of spoon into
boiling water. Cook for 5-8 minutes. Drain well. Keep warm.
- Fry bacon and crumble into pieces.
- Fry cabbage and onions in butter till slightly browned. Season
with salt and pepper.
- Combine cooked potato dumplings, crumbled bacon, browned cabbage and onions.
Add a little more butter, if needed, if it appears too dry. Season to taste.
Best if served immediately.
To raw potato dumplings mixture I sometimes add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh
parsley and 2 cloves minced fresh garlic.
Posted by jerseyjan at Recipe Goldmine 7/17/01 10:47:14 am.