Polish Salad with Pickles Eggs
(Salatka z Piklowanymi Jajkami)
- 3 cups beet juice (cooking water from beets)
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 4 whole allspice
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 hardboiled eggs, peeled
- 1 bunch leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- Pickled Eggs: Heat beet juice, vinegar, peppercorns, allspice, cloves and bay leaf to boiling;
pour over eggs.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours.
- Salad: Toss lettuce and onion. Divide among 6 salad plates.
- Cut eggs into slices or fourths. Arrange 1 egg on top of each salad.
- Shake remaining ingredients in tightly covered container; drizzle over salads.