Poppy Seed Cake (Czechoslovakia)
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided use
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup poppy seed
- Add salt to egg whites and beat until foamy, then add the cream of tartar and beat until stiff.
- Add 1/2 cup of the sugar. Beat well and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks; add remaining 1 cup sugar and beat well. Add cold water to mixture and
beat until lemon colored. Add flour; beat well. Fold into the egg whites.
- Fold in poppy seed carefully.
- Pour into an ungreased angel food pan and bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour. Invert until cool.
- When cool, cut into two layers. Put a butter cream frosting between layers.