Rumanian Mixed Vegetables (Ghiveci)
This is the national dish of Rumania, and it is traditionally cooked in a special
casserole called a "guvens."
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 8 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat 1 inch water to boiling in 3-quart saucepan. Add potatoes, carrots and beans.
Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes; drain.
- Cook and stir onions and garlic in oil in skillet over medium heat until almost tender.
- Add tomatoes, cauliflower florets, celery, salt, thyme, marjoram and pepper. Cover
and cook for 5 minutes.
- Place potato mixture in greased 3-quart casserole.
- Spread half the tomato mixture over top.
- Layer zucchini and green pepper over tomato mixture.
- Top with remaining tomato mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F until vegetables are tender, 50 to 60 minutes.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Eastern European Recipes