This is one I grew up eating and still is wonderful today.
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 pounds cabbage
- 3 large onions
- 1 box hot roll mix
- Brown ground beef in the fry pan, drain grease.
- Chop the onions fine, and chop the
cabbage into small squares. Put into a large kettle and boil for 20-30 minutes on
medium-high heat until done (cabbage is soft and onion is cooked).
- Then combine the cabbage-onion mixture with the hamburger and the dry soup mix
in a kettle and simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Drain off juices into a strainer over a pan. While draining, make the dough.
Take the box of hot roll mix and follow directions. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- After dough is done, roll it out thin as you can get it without tearing or putting
holes in it. Cut into squares as big as you want your Runzas. Take the squares and
put filling in the middle (as much as you want) fold over and seal. Put in a greased
cookie sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes until light brown.
- When you take them out, brush butter over top of Runzas.
These are also excellent if you put a slice of cheese in with the mixture before
you seal them. We use Velveeta for this and it is great.
These freeze very well.
You can use frozen bread dough for this. I have always used the box, but
it sure can't hurt to use frozen.
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 28, 2001.