Spareribs and Cabbage
(Zeberka Wieprzowena z Kapusta — Poland)
Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 1/2 pounds fresh pork spareribs, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 small head green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- Freshly-ground pepper
- Heat oil in Dutch oven until hot. Cook pork spareribs, a few pieces at a time,
over medium heat until brown on all sides, about 15 minutes; drain fat.
- Add onion, carrot, bouillon, salt, caraway seed, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the bay leaf.
- Pour water and vinegar over pork mixture. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer
for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add cabbage; sprinkle with pepper. Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender,
about 45 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Arrange spareribs and vegetables on serving platter.
- Garnish with minced parsley if desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.