Traditional Polish Sweet Bread (Babka)
This dessert, a cross between cake and sweet bread, is often baked for Easter.
- 3 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter or margarine
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- About 7 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled
Confectioners' Sugar Icing
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cakes: Grease side and bottom of 2 (10-inch) tube pans. Prepare Topping; set aside.
- In a shallow, medium bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 tablespoon
sugar and 1/2 cup flour; stir to combine. Cover; let stand in a warm place 5
to 10 minutes until foamy.
- Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan until melted. Let stand until mixture
cools to warm.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks and remaining 1 cup sugar until pale
- Add cooled milk mixture, salt and yeast mixture. Beat until smooth.
Gradually beat in 4 1/2 cups flour. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a
soft dough. Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead dough into a
soft, smooth dough. Divide dough in 1/2. Arrange 1 part dough in each greased
- Cover with a damp cloth; let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until
doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly beat 2 egg whites in a small bowl until foamy. Brush beaten egg
whites on top of dough. Evenly sprinkle Topping over dough.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes
or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans 3 to 4 minutes on racks.
- Turn out of pans; cool completely on racks. Frost with confectioners'
sugar icing, if desired.
- Topping: In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Using a pastry
blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Confectioners' Sugar Icing: In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating constantly. Beat 10 minutes
or until glossy.
- Add lemon juice; beat for 2 minutes or until icing stands up in soft peaks.
Yield: 2 (10-inch) cakes; 1 1/4 cups icing
Variation: Add food coloring or flavorings, such as 1 teaspoon sifted unsweetened
cocoa powder or vanilla extract. Use a little more sugar if liquids are added.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.